Thursday, January 21, 2010

Reading Resource

The link I chose was:

http://www.ohio.edu/linguistics/esl/reading/index.html

This University of Ohio website provides links to several reading resources. My favorite is the digital storytelling link. I think it really helps learners to hear the text as they follow along, so choosing stories from the provided website could help struggling readers to follow along at home and hear the words in their correct pronunciation. I like that the students get audio and visual input at the same time.

I also liked the humor link. I think that it could be a useful resource for students to explore at home. Another advantage of these links is that they are provided by yahoo, so the search results for some of the pages are constantly being updated and students could potentially find new things every week under some of the links.

Additionally, there are links for useful for teaching provided that include webquests, activities and quizzes, and news in English. This is definitely a website I would go to if I were having difficulty finding fun and interactive lessons.

4 comments:

  1. Christine,

    I agree that this website provides a lot of good resources for reading activities.
    The digital storytelling site would be a great warm-up for a reading activity- allowing students to listen to and "see" a story before reading one.
    I liked the top emailed stories link. The links are categorized by topic- the top emailed news stories, sports stories, etc. This allows for learner choice and authentic input.
    One more link I liked was to the Gutenberg Project. The author of this site has compiled readings from authors around the world and throughout history. For example, I searched Martin Luther King, Jr., and found his "I Have a Dream" speech. Again, a great source of authentic readings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine, I really like this website, especially the digital storytelling link. When I teach reading, I read the text aloud so students can hear the right pronunciation. However, I do not feel very confident doing this because I am a NNS and I might have some pronunciation issues. With this website students could learn at their own time and pace, also they could hear the “right” pronunciation. I am planning to use it with my ESL students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's wonderful about the digital storytelling resources on this site is many of them are interactive, allowing visitors to add their own recordings of stories. This can allow a natural transition for students from vocab building, to reading, to discussion, to writing, and finally to recording and posting a story of their own...completing the circle of online sharing.

    Could you please tweet the link to this resource with a brief description and #ESL #MATESOL added at the end of the tweet?
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen,

    Definitely the more authentic the better, and this website certainly brings that to the table.

    ReplyDelete