Wednesday, February 3, 2010

CALL YouTube

The first website I found is on You Tube. It is called Spanish for beginners.

Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uzrQ0QJKcI&feature=PlayList&p=8218733C1860D343&index=0

This website was pretty useful for a true beginner because the lady speaks slowly, clearly, and she also repeats each phrase twice giving the listener to hear the word and then repeat it with her the second time she speaks. The phrases she provides are pretty basic and useful, but she does instruct using both English and Spanish and that could cause friction for some programs and teaching philosophies. As a student though, it would be helpful for the apprehensive learner.

The ESL resource I found is for adults it's called Joe's ESL- English Lessons-Court

Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knfEPl1MKXQ

The guy who narrates this video sounds like he is constantly being sarcastic. He also places emphasis on words in a strange ways, and he talks really fast. However, the pictures are helpful. I'm not sure his 'joke' is really helpful for ESL students. I think most students would be very confused by him because I, a native speaker, was confused at times. Also, he has really odd facial ticks which could be distracting, but I guess that is better than not providing video of him speaking at all. I probably wouldn't use this video, but it would be interesting to see how an ESL student would react to it.

What do you think??

3 comments:

  1. As a beginner of Spanish, I found the first video is very interesting. She speaks slowly so that even a very beginner can catch the sound. I wonder why she doesn't use letters (ex. flash cards) so that the learner can also learn how to spell the words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that using jokes gives learners exposure to authentic language (realia). Learners may not understand the joke, but this might be something that encourages them to find out the meaning of that joke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point Kuma, flash cards would make this video even more learner centered.

    ReplyDelete