E-Journaling seems like it is either a tool that teachers and students love or that they hate. From a teacher's prospective, I like them because it means that I have to carry around and be responsible for less papers. Also, I can access them whenever I please without having to schedule a time to collect journals and return them in a timely fashion. Additionally, I think e-journals have the advantage of allowing students to respond to each others' entries. However, if the teacher is not tech savvy, then the journals could be more of a nightmare than anything.
From the students' perspective, it could be awkward because some students don't like their work to be read by other students. In contrast, some students could feel more at ease when using the e-journal format because they tend to be less formal than other types of papers that are shared among peers. As a student, having all the post online would keep me journaling at regular intervals because it can be read at any time. Whereas with a paper journal, I might just do a whole bunch of entries the night before it is due. Once again though, if the students are not tech savvy, the e-journaling format could become very frustrating and more work than a paper journal.
From the students' perspective, it could be awkward because some students don't like their work to be read by other students. In contrast, some students could feel more at ease when using the e-journal format because they tend to be less formal than other types of papers that are shared among peers. As a student, having all the post online would keep me journaling at regular intervals because it can be read at any time. Whereas with a paper journal, I might just do a whole bunch of entries the night before it is due. Once again though, if the students are not tech savvy, the e-journaling format could become very frustrating and more work than a paper journal.
I am 100% against using forced journal writing in an educational setting unless there is a promise of sustained development relevant to the process itself. Certain students may benefit from mandatory output, but I think it should be more attuned to the needs and inquiries of the students--otherwise the danger of artificial issues may come up, which has the potential to derail the entire student-centered process. Just sayin'.
ReplyDeleteIts good to see that although you're 100% against it, you still participate in it. What a good sport! Just sayin'.
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with you that e-journaling is a good way for teachers to keep track of their students' progress. It is true that in some cases, students do not really appreciate the benefits of e-journaling, but after all, students have to reflect on what they find interesting and relevant to their own learning. Thus "forcing" students to do journal writing could be a good thing.
ReplyDelete